Emergency drills provide critical information to employees on what to do should a crisis arise, and also give leadership a chance to assess the effectiveness of emergency plans and communications equipment like two way radios.
To plan the perfect safety drill, follow these steps:
- Begin by forming a safety committee. Include one member of every department on the committee. Having a representative from each department helps ensure that the individual safety needs of every department has an advocate. It also helps in relaying clear, ungarbled information back to each department. The safety committee should draft evacuation and other safety plans for the organization.
- Provide evacuation and other emergency drill information to employees, and make them responsible for understanding it. Employees should know evacuation paths for their work area and alternate routes out of the building. Employees also need to know how to report emergencies and how to operate a fire extinguisher.
- Conduct drills every few months. Also conduct the occasional unannounced fire drill. An unannounced drill will provide a better test of whether your employees really know what to do in the event of a fire or other emergency.
- Communications equipment can be vital in emergency situations. Cell phone service can go down, making two way radios a more reliable medium of communication during a crisis. When conducting emergency drills, test your two way communication devices to ensure they are in good working order.
- Track how well your employees did during the fire drill. If employees consistently do poorly on drills, it may be an indication that further training is necessary, or that revisions to the safety plan are needed.
By conducting effective safety drills, you can ensure that your employees are properly prepared in the event of a fire or other crisis event.
Two Way Radio Gear sells Motorola two way radios to customers nationwide. With nearly two decades of experience in radio equipment sales, service, and installation, Two Way Radio Gear understands its products and its customer base, and can help customers find the right solution for their two way radio needs.